Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cyril Mack

Love him or hate him, he's my dude.

Yesterday my story, Cyril Mack and the Very Cold Cup of Tea, was published at Every Day Fiction.

People loved it, or hated it. Reading the comments was quite a ride.

I was happy that so many people loved it, and laughed about it, and got that it was supposed to be ridiculous. I loved that lots of people understood that it had something to say, even though it was so silly. I was happy that people were having fun.

There were some total party-poopers, however, and they got under my skin for the day by leaving scathing comments designed to get under my skin. I even wrote a blog entry about how much they suck.

But today I'm not worried about them and their dreadful dispirited days. I won't even pity them for their dreariness. I deleted the blog post. :)

The truth is, a lot of people liked my crazy story. Some people even understood it. And I didn't even think EDF would buy it.

If you haven't read it, please do. If you hate it, I can't blame you for it, my wife doesn't like it one bit. But if you're going to be nasty about it, don't expect my respect, or even my notice. I had fun writing it, and I sold it. And lots of people have read it, and some of them even liked it. All is well in my weird universe.

Thanks for reading!

Have rad days.

8 Comments:

Blogger Gay Degani said...

Kev, baby!!! Wish I could hug you. Where's Terry? Make sure she gives you a big smackeroo some time today. Your story rocked!! And most people who read it loved it.

1:08 PM  
Blogger K.C. Ball said...

Hang tough. Remember, you are Kevlar and there are lots of us who think your stuff is hilarious. ;)

8:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah Hilary said...

No one writes like you, Kev. That's scares the people with too little imagination. Those of us with just enough envy you the extra shot you got, but we love you for it, first and foremost. You brightened my day with that story.

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin, Cyril Mack is one of my favourite of your stories, it's so completely original and unique. And it got a better star rating than I would have expected for that type of piece, so obviously more than just the usual surreal/bizarro fans "got it", which makes it more accessible than most.

The fact is, I'm surprised almost every single day at some of the comments on stories, things that no one would say to an author's face -- not genuine criticism like "this didn't work for me" or "I was confused" but straight-up rudeness like "meh" and "juvenile". I sometimes wonder whether some people who spend more time online than with real people sort of forget that there are real people on the receiving end of the comments. (Despite knowing better, I still sometimes get upset with people who make snarky remarks about typos -- I mean, you try proofreading 365 stories a year without missing a single error!) Their nastiness is totally about them, not about your story, which rocked.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Sarah Hilary said...

Hear hear, Camille!

12:08 AM  
Blogger Kevin Shamel said...

Thank you, everyone. It really only took a day to get over it.

Thanks so much, Camille. I think you're right about people forgetting that there's someone real on the other end of their zingers.

And I absolutely agree when people complain about typos. We DO know how difficult it must be to read and edit that many stories a year (day, week, month).

Let's ignore those meanies together!

Thanks for all your support, everyone.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Kevin Shamel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Kevin Shamel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home