Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Bring Me a Bucket and a Cleaning Lady

I've smoked cigarettes since I was 12 years old. By 15 I smoked a pack a day. That means I've smoked a pack a day for 22 years. I've smoked for 25. That's a good bunch of numbers, I think.

So Friday is my newest quit date.

This time I'm not messing around. I'm using good old fashioned pharmaceuticals. Am I allowed to say Chantix on the air?

I'm taking this drug because it gets in the way of the other drug that I take when I ingest cigarette smoke. The stuff they say is the most addictive chemical in the things--nicotine. But that might not even be true, because who the hell knows what else is in them? At any rate, Chantix is a nicotine receptor blocker. It fills up the nicotine slots in my brain cells so my brain thinks it's just had a smoke.

I'm on day four of taking them.

The pharmacist allayed my fears about the horrible daymares I'd heard about in association with Chantix by telling me that he hadn't even heard of anyone having a psychotic episode, but that a lot of people complained about nausea.

I'm complaining about that right now. That's really what this post is all about.

I'm supposed to be going to the grocery store for our weekly trip, taking both the kids. I'm not going.

Later, I have to go to Caspian's school to find out what class he's in and drop off his supplies and meet his teacher (please don't let it be that total dick!) and I'm not sure how I'm going to be feeling this afternoon.

Right now, each step is a threat.

This stuff better work.

Just thought I'd share with you. Be thankful you don't live here for the real sharing that could take place at any moment. TMI? Sorry.

Anyone else take this stuff?

5 Comments:

Blogger K.C. Ball said...

There is no such thing as too much information, just people who don't want to be bothered.

Hang in there; it can be done. My e-mail is kcball@hotmail.com, if you want to rant a bit. Think of it as an electronic confessional. :)

1:04 PM  
Blogger Kevin Shamel said...

:)

I may use your e-confessional.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Gay Degani said...

You can do this, Kev-baby. You CAN. Just take it one day at a time. Use KC. Use me. Grab a deck of cards if you get antsy.

Do it for your family. Do it for everyone who loves you. Do it for you.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Kevin Shamel said...

Thanks, Gay.

Once I get over the nausea, I think this stuff will be the key.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont need to tell you that im here if you need me...you know i am.


Consider ranting to me a good thing...as im picking up more cigarettes every time im at the studio, do your best to put me off now.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home