Friday, August 29, 2008

Resident Duties...

My flash story about the Fountain of Youth went live at Every Day Fiction today. Again, it's an experiment.

I love The Epic of Gilgamesh. I know, it's incomplete, and to a lot of people, boring. But I'm very interested in the surrounding history of the world's first "fiction". I have several stories, and story ideas, based in the most ancient of Ancient Worlds. Resident Duties is one.

I want to see what we've missed in those stories. I want to see who knows those stories, and what they've got to say about my interpretation of them. I want to see if I can get to the root of all tales, flesh out what makes them tales, and expound upon them.

So please stop by and give my Gilgamesh story a read. As always, please leave a comment, and click a star to tell me what you think.

Thanks for reading!

3 Comments:

Blogger K.C. Ball said...

I read Resident Duties early this morning (I keep a weird schedule), and left a comment over at Everyday Fiction (I gave it a five, BTW; would have given it a six, just for being so blue sky, if that were possible).

I'll say here what I said there; it was a great story. I look forward to your stuff, Kevin, because you stop to study things that most of us don't even notice and you pass on the knowledge that you acquire in your writing. I am in awe.

BTW, I loved the idea that it's all about the water. Ain't it the truth.

I haven't really dug into the ancient tales you mentioned, but I am caught up by the notion that people have been telling each other stories since there were two people -- one to talk and one to listen. I think stories are the way we take the measure of our lives.

Keep cranking them out, kiddo. I tell you what Gay and I have been telling each other. You're a hell of a writer!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Kevin Shamel said...

WOW. Thank you so much, K.C. I'm literally aquiver.

I'm so glad you mentioned the lines about water. It absolutely is all about the water. Rhumjum commented a little after you, telling me that I should have ended it before those lines. I thought, "Well, there's one who didn't get it." That's fine. All writing entertains on multiple levels.

I really like your writing, too. I'm looking forward to your upcoming time travel piece especially, knowing how it was born, and wondering what you discovered. PLUS I know the story will rock.

I've always loved the oldest of stories. When I first read Gilgamesh, it touched me profoundly. I could have written it, you know? And it's the oldest story ever found.

When I learned the stories that surround that story of Gilgamesh, and WHY he might partake in the quests he had, my view of the world was never the same.

We are babies in the world of story-telling, and we've been doing it forever.

My goal is to find a new story.

THAT could be a story right there. How far do you go to find a new story, and is it at all possible?

Thank you so much, K.C.!!!!

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it becuase it had a plane crash...niiaaooow...BOOM.


Sorry i'm not in much of an intellectual mood today.


Cool story though.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home