Sunday, October 05, 2008

Fan Boy

I admit it. If I don't admit it, my wife will admit it for me. Loudly. In front of people.

I'm a geek.

Not a fabulous geek who can build computers or nanobots, either.

I'm a science fiction geek.

Not a costume wearing, Klingon speaking, science fiction geek, but I could probably hang with geeks like that and not be found out to be different for a week or so.

But you know that. You've read my stuff and wondered what the hell I think about, what my influences are, what I watch on TV. Or you just know.

I watch, Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles. I do.

At first I wondered if it was going to suck. I think I do that with every TV series that I see from the beginning. But actually, the ones I watch from their beginnings usually turn out to be the ones I stick with. Anyway, The Sarah Conner Chronicles does not suck.

I love the whole Terminator series of movies.

When the first movie came out, I was fourteen or fifteen years old. It scared the shit out of me. Even at that time in history, it was not a far-fetched idea, artificial intelligence created by humans declaring war on humanity. There were scientists even then talking about how once we invented artificial intelligence, we were doomed to extinction. The public was aware of microchip technology by that time. We could extrapolate.

Put a bunch of robots and nuclear weapons together in the 80's, and you've got a recipe for scaring people. And entertaining them.

But do it 24 years later, and it's just entertainment. We all know we could be blown up by any sort of terrorist, AI or LI (limited intelligence) at any moment. We're not afraid anymore, just in anticipation.

The Terminator series, or as I like to call it, Sarah Conner, is entertainment.

I'll admit, I think Lena Headey (great last name, btw, especially for her) is totally hot (that's Sarah Conner), completely believable as a tough-chick, and does a great job of being afraid for her "hope of humanity" son. I think she's the better Sarah Conner.

I'm really liking Thomas Dekker as John Conner, too. He seems to be relaxing into the character, and really exploring who it is he's playing. I like him.

Brian Austin Green does a damned good job as John's uncle, too. I was surprised to see him in the lineup. Don't know why, but I was. And he brings a great deal to the show.

Summer Glau is the most beautiful terminator ever. Only other female terminators will disagree.


And that's really what this post is all about. Summer Glau.

Last Tuesday night (I dvr it), I was watching Sarah Conner when I came to a decision. I rushed into the next room, where Terri was NOT watching the show, and informed her of my decision. I really wanted her to come in and see what I was talking about, but, as I'd thought, that wasn't going to happen. So I had to explain my realization and decision to her.

I'm a fan of Summer Glau.

I'm not usually a fan of any actor or actress. I'm usually a fan of whoever wrote the thing they're acting.

But there are a few. And Ms. Glau is now one.

Before the last episode, Allison, I liked her enough. I thought she did a decent job of being a terminator, and as I said, she's who I think is the hottest terminator so far.

I liked her in Firefly, too. Her character was interesting. When Serenity came out, and we REALLY got to see her character, interesting became an understatement. And in that movie, Summer did a great job.

In The Sarah Conner Chronicles, Summer was doing a good job of being a terminator, and I thought they did a pretty good job in casting her.

In last week's episode, Ms. Glau had to shuck her robotic act and be a human.

And the juxtaposition of those characters, and the way she played them, got me. I'm gotten. She rocked it. Robot, human at the end of a long, horrible journey, robot, horrid journey, robot, human, robot... She rocked it so much so that I paused the TV and rushed in to tell my wife that I LOVE Summer Glau! (I'm sure she liked that.)

I don't want to give away the whole story behind the episode, but I have to say that it's a great one. It let us into Summer's character (Cameron) who has been (and still is) very mysterious. Now we know why a machine told John Conner that she loves him...

The acting! The acting!

I just want to rave a little more about Summer Glau's acting. She did a fantastic job. FAN-tastic. Turned me into a full-blown fan in two minutes.

I'm sure she's been working on me since Firefly. But it was the two characters she played in Allison that cinched the deal.

I'm a fan of Summer Glau. And I wanted to say that outloud.

I'd love for her to play a character in something I write.

Can't wait for tomorrow night.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Hilary said...

Summer is so cool. I loved Firefly, too. Wish we could get Sarah C Chronicles over here without recourse to cable TV. That photo of Summer is stunning. I love that you'r a fan!boy.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Kevin Shamel said...

I'm glad you love that I'm a fan boy. Otherwise that stuff about action figures might wear thin. I'm glad to know that being YOUR fan is appreciated.

I just pulled that photo from the Terminator website. I'd written that Summer was "the hottest terminator" but after I found that shot I changed it to "beautiful".

She's cool.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Yes, we always love it when our husbands proclaim their adoration for other hot chicks.

Ahhhh.

(fuckin' hate her)

She seems like she does a really nice job.

(never watching that damn show)

Good job Summer

(what the fuck kind of name is that?)

She really is beautiful.

(I'm sure the boobs are fake)

Love,
your wife.

ps--Summer if you really decide to act in some of Kevin's movies I'm sure you'll be wonderful. But you can never meet Kevin. Sorry.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Bryan said...

i'm speechless.

i love her too which is how i found this blog

8:32 AM  
Blogger Kevin Shamel said...

Nice.

I read some of your blog today, VERY funny stuff.

Thanks for commenting.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Bryan said...

you must have an extraordinary amount of free time or tremendously low expectations .... but thanks.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont worry terri....wear summin revealing tongth and he will forget her good.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Summer came to a sci-fi convention in Dallas a couple of years ago. She was really sweet. We got her autograph and a picture with her.

I really love SCC -- we haven't started watching season 2 yet (too many Monday night conflicts!), but I really want to get started on it. Loved season 1.

I've heard SCC isn't getting as good of ratings this year. :-( Talk about a bummer! I hope it squeaks into at least getting a full season. Right now, only 13 eps. are signed.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Kevin Shamel said...

That sucks that ratings aren't so great.

I like season two. It's getting deeper into the story.

I want shows I like to stay on TV!

That's awesome that you met her. Especially awesome that she was cool.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home