Friday, September 29, 2006

Still More on Our City

Why did we pick Olympia?

Seattle is too big for me. I’m a small town kind of guy. But not too small. I grew up in a town of about 45,000. I’ve also lived in a SMALL town. A town of about 800. Yeah. Don’t do that if you don’t have to.

So we were living in Milwaukee, and I hated it there. Too big. I know, all you people from Milwaukee are first like, “What?! You hated it here?!” and then, “What?! Too big?!!” Everyone in Milwaukee thinks it’s small.

There’s a million people and it’s pretty much run-together with Chicago. It’s big. It’s the Chicago as a neighbor thing that does it, I’m sure. Chicago… ugh. Don’t get me started about the overwhelming magnitude of that city. That place boggles me. And I’ve lived on the streets of NYC. Anyway, Milwaukee considers itself small because it lives next to Chicago. At least, that’s my theory. People in Milwaukee are always talking about getting out to a big city, like New York, or Seattle, or San Francisco. Granted, those cities are bigger, but truly, you can’t tell once you’re there.

Olympia is suh-weet. It’s middle-sized, there’s plenty of green, the people still like each other for the most part, you can get from the Eastside to the Westside in a matter of minutes, it’s near Seattle and Portland so if we (and by we I mean the rest of my family) do get a hankerin’ for the city, there are two available. There’s mountains, there’s the Puget Sound, the ocean is an hour away, the air is clean, there are no billboards on the freeway, rivers are clean, streets are mostly clean, there’s culture, and art, and food, coffee is everywhere… So far it can’t be beat.

We moved here because I needed the West. Terri needed a large body of water, having grown up next to Lake Michigan. She also needed the comfort of some sort of metropolis. I needed the comfort of knowing there’s seclusion available. I like Bigfoot, she likes coffee. (I like coffee, too.)

We both fell in love with the sights, smells, and sounds of Olympia. We also like its feel.
Thank the Gods for Olympia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home