Saturday, October 11, 2008

Class

It's been nearly twenty years since I graduated from high school.

No jokes, M, I'm still reeling from the English to American dictionary discussion.

It's a long time to be out of high school. It makes me look at what I've been doing for twenty years.

A few days ago I ran across a website that was looking for me. It was a high school reunion website. It had a whole list of people's names that I went to school with.

It made me wonder what everyone else has been doing for twenty years. Especially the names that I'd forgotten. Oh yeah, Mr. Short Term Memory Loss actually had a hard time remembering Long Term, too. Someone should do a study about that...

These are people with whom I spent nearly every day for a long number of years. I didn't remember some of them at all.

Some names brought back faces to mind immediately, even if I hadn't thought of the person since we went our separate ways. Other names I still don't recognize. It's pretty weird.

Now, I know some of you are from much bigger high schools than the one I went to, and you're thinking it's no big deal not to know people you went to school with. But I lived in a small town in Idaho. I don't think I even need to look up the number of my graduating class, you're with me now, right?

Anyway, I signed up at the site's database of dispersed individuals. I mainly filled out my personal information and developed a profile so that I could read about my classmates and what they'd been doing for twenty years. And see their pictures! I didn't really even think about talking to anyone.

But once I started remembering people, and times, and how much fun we had together, I messaged a few folks. Two old friends replied, and one of my oldest and dearest friends wrote to me through my website. I hadn't heard from her in at least fifteen years.

I'm not going to the reunion. Mostly because I'm not ever going back to the tiny town in Idaho where it will be held.

I thought another reason was because I still keep in touch with all the people from school that I want to. But that's absolutely not true. I hope more people write to me and I hope I get to see some of those old friends again, even though it won't be at the class gathering.

Jody, did you get your reply? (That's the thing about being called shameless, junk mail filters think I'm nasty.)

Twenty years suddenly seems like a blink of my eyes.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My high school class had only 63 people in it, so I know what you mean.

It's been interesting connecting with some of them on Facebook this past year. Though, one person friended me and it said we went to high school together and I totally don't remember her at all!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Gay Degani said...

My class had over 600 and it was 40years ago. Is that right? 2008-1967=41!!!!!! Good grief. But I just made contact with a friend via the net. Talk about short-term memory, I can't remember how that happened. I need some earphones and the gate stormers in my head. There's no other hope for me.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Gay Degani said...

oh yea, erin, it was face book. Thank you.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Kevin Shamel said...

I think mine was around a hundred or two. I really don't know. But you DO know what I mean, Erin.

You're funny, Gay.

Facebook is, too.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my sixth form colledge we have a few hundred...in compulsory high schools it was a few thousand

9:52 AM  
Blogger Kevin Shamel said...

Holy shit. A few thousand. That's lots.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be honest i dont know how it compares....becuase our school system is different.

or instance in year 11 there was thousands...but split into different forms.

in the pre-GCSE years there are two bands each with different forms

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife's class was several hundred. I don't think they get much bigger than 3-400 in the US, but I might be wrong.

My class was only about 80, and I just skipped my 10-year reunion last summer. There are only a few people I went to high school with who I care to talk to, and I already do. It's not that I had a terrible time in high school, I just don't care. I don't really have anything to talk about with those people. Part of it, I think, is how different I've become from the person I was then, and I just don't want to be bothered by those old conceptions.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Bryan said...

I went to my 20th last year. I hadn't gone to any of the other ones. I just had no interest at all but this time I was curious.

Honestly, I left feeling I didn't miss a thing by not keeping in touch with more people.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home